The Breakthrough team is growing, and we are excited for you to meet another new face!
Maggie is our new Program Facilitator, responsible for going to the correctional facilities each week and facilitating Breakthrough’s “The Challenge” program as well as facilitating our workshops as part of “The Transformation” program.
Learn more about Maggie and why she believes in the power of community:
Where were you born?
- San Francisco, California
What is your favorite color?
What is your favorite food?
- How could I possibly pick just one!? If I had to eat just one type of cuisine exclusively for the rest of my life, I’d have to choose Mexican food.
What is your favorite activity to do in your free time?
- Going to concerts and listening to live music is one of my most favorite activities. I love being outside and with loved ones, listening to jazz in the park or heading to a cool venue for a show. I love all music but I listen to folk, soul, rap, and alternative rock the most.
Are you a dog person or cat person?
- Dogs all the way!
What has been your favorite job so far?
- A few years back, I spent the summer teaching kids to swim and that was one of the most fun jobs I’ve ever had. Watching their sheer excitement when it finally clicked for them and they could keep themselves up on their own was such a joyous experience. But while I’m just a few weeks into this position as a Program Facilitator for Breakthrough, I’m sure this role is going to take the cake!
Why did you want to help the men and women who are incarcerated here in Colorado?
- Growing up, I spent a lot of time with justice-impacted women and learned early on the power of community and that we are strongest when we come together and rely on each other. I developed a deep passion for criminal justice reform and am excited to bring that commitment to this work.
What is your favorite part of your job as a Program Facilitator?
- At the beginning of each class, we make a commitment to having a radical hope for tomorrow. This fosters a deep sense of empowerment amongst the participants and volunteers alike. Day in and day out, I am inspired by this promise.
Anything else you want to add: Come volunteer with us!